Recent Posts

Friday, November 09, 2007

SING ME A HAPPY SONG

Awhile ago, Georgia Stitt posed the question to her readers one she was asked during an interview: What are your 12 all time favorite musical theatre songs? This got me thinking and I realized that as much as I love musicals, that I think my own exposure is quite limited. Actually, I had a really hard time coming up with my own favorites and noticed that though I own quite a few cast albums, in the grand scheme of things, I really don't. Regardless, I thought I would indulge in something slightly obsessive and fun...like my own list of songs. In no particular order...and also, this is not my list of "all time" but rather my list of the moment or rather some of my favorite Sondheim songs with a few other sprinkled in. Actually I kept adding then removing songs...otherwise this list would have almost entirely been all Sondheim!
  • Loving You (from Passion): The song is simple, short and haunting. During my musical theatre "rebirth" while in high school...this song caught my ear and was one of the ones that made me want to really discover Sondheim.
  • Music of Heaven: Its really not so much a musical theatre song, but a song that I really relate to. I posted about it awhile back and everytime I hear it (which is quite often), it makes me think about life/religion/music etc.
  • How Could I Ever Know (from The Secret Garden): This musical is based on Frances Hodgson Burnett's classic work. It is lovingly sung by the ghost of Lily to her husband: "How could I know I would have to leave you/How could I know I would hurt you so/You were the one I was born to love/Oh how could I ever know?/How could I ever know." It is probably the most heartbreaking songs I know and equally beautiful.
  • The Miller's Son (from A Little Night Music): What I love about Sondheim is how he can so beautifully construct a set of lyrics. I think I've always loved the alliteration in this song...and so effective!
  • Soliloquy (from Carousel): The best and most honest inner monologue. Nobody does it like John Raitt.

  • Tomorrow (from Annie): My musical theater obsession began with a red headed orphan named Annie and the rest as they say is history. As a little girl, I sung this more often than I think any other song anywhere and everywhere I could.
Related Posts with Thumbnails