Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

BACK TO BEFORE

I just got finished going through a box of old Playbills my great-aunt just gave me and all I can say is...wow. What this box contains -- in my opinion -- is simply historic. I cannot believe how many incredible performers she has been lucky enough to witness in the last 30-40 years (maybe more they're just not included in this collection?). She was lucky enough to see Mary Martin, John Raitt, Rock Hudson, the original company of Chicago (with Chita Rivera and Jerry Orbach), Buster Keaton (who knew) and Alfred Drake and Anna Maria Albergetti in Carnival -- just to name a few. And to my amusement, saw future Tony Award winner Sutton Foster in one of her first shows -- the touring production of The Will Roger's Follies as well as my personal favorite, Patrick Wilson in the touring company of Carousel with Sarah Uriarte Berry.

I can't imagine how cool it would have been to see these shows coming through town when they were new or having their first revival. My great-aunt saw Chicago with Jerry Orbach and Chita Rivera at the Ahmanson in the 70s (I think), the very place I saw the revival in the late 90s with Jasmine Guy and Brent Barrett! She saw a very young Bernadette Peters in Mack and Mabel with Robert Preston (YES, the Music Man) -- I think that is incredibly awesome! Though not musical theatre, but musical, she got to see Zubin Mehta conduct the LA Phil too. I realize that wasn't so long ago, but it was long before my intrest in music had piqued.

For the very few people reading this, I guess it's pretty obvious how obsessed with theatatre I am (and how this blog is taking on a new shape as a freakish Broadway fan's soapbox). But the more time that passes and as my unhappiness grows with my current employer, it is becoming increasingly clear to me what I want to do and where I want to be...I just don't think I can bear to be so far away from my friends and family. I wish New York were closer...or that they were closer to New York. I know that is where I am meant to be...maybe right now just isn't my time...yet.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails