Recent Posts

Monday, September 21, 2009

NOTHING BUT A GOOD TIME

In the past, I admit that I've been prejudiced against "jukebox musicals" insisting that I could not categorize them as real musicals. I never saw them as being quality theater...really, ever. Being the theater snob I was, I refused to go to anything that I deemed of that quality. Never say never, right? Yes. Well, I have to say, a tide has turned and things have changed because I think I'm a new found fan and supporter of Rock of Ages.

Rock of Ages is no Next to Normal, but it is light-hearted, fun and certainly doesn't take itself seriously. The show stars American Idol Alum Constantine Maroulis and a string of actresses playing the lead female role of Sherry (from the Amy Spanger controversy to its current Sherry, Kerry Butler. Maroulis who despite being known for AI, is a theater boy at heart and always had aspirations for the Great White Way (and was in RENT pre-Idol and got his degree from the Boston Conservatory of Music & Berklee College of Music). Lately, I've noticed the more I prematurely prejudge shows that have gone to the Broad-way, I tend to rediscover them later anyway and see the good qualities, the fun and the need to explore them. So yet again, I will say...I am wrong. I was wrong in thinking Rock of Ages was a poor show and had no respectable qualities.



The show does a great job of writing a story around the songs from hair-bands of the '80s and the actors all seem to be having so much fun with the show.
From the show's synopsis:
In 1987 on the Sunset Strip, a small town girl met a big city rocker and in LA’s most famous rock club, they fell in love to the greatest songs of the 80s. It’s ROCK OF AGES, an arena-rock love story told through the mind-blowing, face-melting hits of JOURNEY, NIGHT RANGER, STYX, REO SPEEDWAGON, PAT BENATAR, TWISTED SISTER, POISON, ASIA, WHITESNAKE and many more. Don’t miss this awesomely good time about dreaming big, playing loud and partying on!
Rock of Ages is such a fun show, I can't stop listening to it and I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to be rocked!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails