Recent Posts

Thursday, December 15, 2005

I WANNA BE A PRODUCER

Ok, so I don't really wanna be a producer, I just wanna see The Producers! What makes this movie musical more interesting than the others that have graced the silver screen in recent months? The Producers (the film) is based on a play based on a movie about a play. Confused? Blame Mel Brooks.

In 1968, Mel Brooks wrote and directed a film by the same name starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder which went on to become one of the most successful Broadway musicals in recent times. In 2001, The Producers earned 12 Tony Awards (including best musical) more than any other musical in Tony history. The show starred Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane as Leo Bloom and Max Bialystock (respectively) and was one of the hottest tickets on Broadway before the show even opened. As luck would have it, the musical's original portrayers (along with supporting actors Roger Bart and Gary Beach) have reprised their roles in the silver screen version of the musical. Also reprising her creative role from the musical as director, is Susan Stroman. Though Stroman has an impressive stage resume -- she's won 5 Tonys, 2 Oliviers, 5 Drama Desk Awards, 8 Outer Critics Circle Awards, a record 4 Astaire Awards and the Lucille Lortel Award -- the question is how effective will she be in her film directorial debut? I truly hope her work shines on screen...it is possible...look at the brilliant job Rob Marshall did with Chicago when he transitioned from stage to screen.

I suppose I'm just plain optimistic (maybe naively so) when it comes to movie musicals these days. While I was over-the-moon excited about Rent, I wasn't as impressed with it as I wanted to be. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, The Producers will succeed. After all, it was just nominated for 4 Golden Globe Awards! So as I will say with nearly any movie musical...Go See The Producers!

The Producers opens Friday, December 16 in select cities and nationwide on Christmas Day.

1 comments:

Mitch Glaser said...

I have high hopes for this one. Mel Brooks is brilliant at being hilarious.

I look forward to seeing the film with you...let's shoot for this weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails