Recent Posts

Sunday, October 28, 2001

WHO ARE YOU NOW?

I guess one could say I'm "lucky" since I still have a job. But I feel like I'm the only survivor in a plane crash. Survivor of what? I probably shouldn't say too much...but I will say to be left behind is a lonely existence. Just a few weeks ago, I was telling someone that as awful as my job can be, my one saving grace is that I work with an incredibly tight knit group of people...now those people are gone and what am I left with? I wish I knew.

So it's easy to say that I'm depressed these days. I think I'm taking this whole situation worse than the people who were laid off! I know that lay offs happen, that people have to deal with it and move on...this whole process was very Office Space. **sigh** At least Office Space. was funny - nothing about this situation is funny. So if you know of anyone hiring in marketing/promotions/new media for the entertainment industry...you know where to find me.

* * * *

On another note, I watched the newly released DVD of Barbra Streisand's Funny Girl this weekend. It's been years since I'd seen it, and it was as wonderful as I remembered. I think I was 9 when I saw a dinner theater production of Funny Girl for my mother's birthday. I remember sitting there, amidst the food I didn't really care for enchanted by the music and the story...it was the greatest thing I had ever seen since Annie. At that age, nothing pleased me more than Annie and Little House on the Prairie. And I was adding Funny Girl to the list. I remember renting Funny Girl and watching it intently and comparing it to the staged version I had seen. I begged my parents to buy the video for me to watch all the time (you know, to add to my already obsessive behavior...see below) but for some reason, they never did...imagine that.

As long as I can remember, I always put my heart and soul into learning everything I could about everything I loved. For example, I had seen Annie at least a half a dozen times and had gone through 4 copies of the OCR, purchased an "Annie" dress, wig, dolls (2 sizes - the pocket size and large size) as well as a stuffed animal of "Sandy" the dog. I thought I was the next Annie, that I was on the verge any day of being "discovered."

On my "off-days" from being Annie, I thought I was Laura Ingalls Wilder. My grandmother had made me a prairie dress and bonnet for Halloween (which I put on everyday after school) my best friend and I played "Little House" by riding our bicycles pretending they were horses through the "woods." I had my parents tape the show everyday so I could watch it whenever I wanted (and I watched it whenever I wasn't belting out Annie). I've even been to the actual town of Walnut Grove, MN and visited all of the locations Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in her "Little House" series of books.

So anyways, watching Funny Girl this weekend brought me back to that age of my youth...and cheered me up for a few hours.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails