Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THE RIGHT GIRL

broadwayworld.com
So in a recent post, I mentioned that I would try to be more open-minded when it comes to the casting game.  Today I suppose that open-mindedness is being tested.  Today, BroadwayWorld.com reported that Kim Cattrall was in negotiations to star as Phyllis opposite Bernadette Peters (as Sally Durant) in the Washington, D.C. production of Follies at the Kennedy Center.

[silence]

Yes, that was my first reaction too.

Not to say that this is a bad choice, but is it a good choice?  Only time will tell.  First of all, I had no idea that Kim Cattrall was a singer.  While most people view her as the over-sexed character, Samantha Jones (from one of my favorite series), but when I think of Cattrall, I actually think of another film character:

I have no doubts when it comes to Cattrall's acting chops, its her singing chops that I wonder about.  While some roles aren't known to be heavy singing roles, lets face it, singer or not, it is a Sondheim show after all.  I can't really think of a single musical (of his) in which a weak singer is cast (and performs well).  However if this rumor is actually true, then I am interested to hear/see how she performs in a musical.  Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails