Recent Posts

Friday, June 03, 2005

TICK TOCK GOES THE CLOCK

Just two more days until Broadway's Biggest Night on CBS. What is Broadway's Biggest Night you ask? Well it's the 59th ANNUAL TONY AWARDS for crap sake!

In the last few years, ratings for my favorite awards show has gone down...and I would really hate for CBS to stop airing them...hahaa, the Tony Awards are more sacred to me than the Emmys or the Oscars for obvious reasons. It's bad enough that I can't catch the Drama Desk Awards or Broadway on Broadway on the left coast.

So everyone, watch the TONY AWARDS!!! Do it for me and the millions of theatre lovers out there who want to continue supporting the performing arts! Haha, shall I be an uber-nerd and indicate my abbreviated wish list/predictions below? Ok, indulge me please. And now...the list of nominees for musicals...as the clock ticks...in due time, we will find out who will win!

(winners are listed below in red)

BEST MUSICAL
* Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* The Light in the Piazza -- after listening to this show...I'm thinking it may actually win.
* Monty Python's Spamalot -- I think it will be between this one and...
* The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee -- ...this one. Although I am rooting for Spelling Bee.

BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
* La Cage aux Folles -- I think it's obvious who will win, and it aint the two below La Cage!
* Pacific Overtures
* Sweet Charity

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
* Christina Applegate, Sweet Charity
* Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza -- likely winner
* Erin Dilly, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
* Sutton Foster, Little Women -- I'd LOVE for Sutton to win...she was a great Jo March!
* Sherie Rene Scott, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
* Hank Azaria, Monty Python's Spamalot
* Gary Beach, La Cage aux Folles
* Norbert Leo Butz, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- if Norbert doens't win...well, Norbert better win!
* Tim Curry, Monty Python's Spamalot
* John Lithgow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
* Joanna Gleason, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* Celia Keenan Bolger, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
* Kelli O'Hara, The Light in the Piazza -- I can see Kelli winning, though I don't know if she is favored.
* Sara Ramirez, Monty Python's Spamalot

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
* Dan Folger, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee -- I have an odd feeling about him winning for reasons unbeknownst to me.
* Marc Kudisch, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
* Michael McGrath, Monty Python's Spamalot
* Matthew Morrison, The Light in the Piazza
* Christopher Sieber, Monty Python's Spamalot

BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
* James Lapine, The Light in the Piazza
* Mike Nichols, Monty Python's Spamalot -- I'm sure he'll win.
* Jack O'Brien, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* Bartlett Sher, The Light in the Piazza

BEST SCENERY FOR A MUSICAL
* Tim Hatley, Monty Python's Spamalot
* Rumi Matsui, Pacific Overtures
* Anthony Ward, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
* Michael Yeargan, The Light in the Piazza
I didn't see any of these!

BEST COSTUMES FOR A MUSICAL
* Tim Hatley, Monty Python's Spamalot
* Junko Koshino, Pacific Overtures
* William Ivey Long, La Cage aux Folles
* Catherine Zuber, The Light in the Piazza
Toss up...but William Ivey Long tends to win...

BEST LIGHTING FOR A MUSICAL
* Christopher Akerlind, The Light in the Piazza
* Mark Henderson, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
* Kenneth Posner, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- the only show of the 4 that I did see.
* Hugh Vanstone, Monty Python's Spamalot

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY
* Wayne Cilento, Sweet Charity
* Jerry Mitchell, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* Jerry Mitchell, La Cage aux Folles -- winner...?! His odds are good! :)
* Casey Nicholaw, Monty Python's Spamalot

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
* Jeffrey Lane, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* Craig Lucas, The Light in the Piazza
* Eric Idle, Monty Python's Spamalot -- winner I'm sure.
* Rachel Sheinkin, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

BEST SCORE
* David Yazbek, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
* Adam Guettel, The Light in the Piazza
* John Du Prez and Eric Idle, Monty Python's Spamalot
* William Finn, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
I'm still waiting for my CD for Spelling Bee, so I don't know... although I do love Adam Guettel's score!

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS
* Larry Hochman, Monty Python's Spamalot
* Sperling, Guettel & Coughlin, The Light in the Piazza -- simply beautiful...but I don't know if it will win.
* Jonathan Tunick, Pacific Overtures
* Harold Wheeler, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Well kids...that's it...the nominations on the musicals side...and I'm exhausted...so I'm probably not writing coherently...therefore, I will sign off for now.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails