Recent Posts

Thursday, February 10, 2005

I just got back from seeing Hotel Rwanda and let me say...what an amazing and disturbing true story of genocide in Rwanda that took place only TEN years ago.

The tragedy that took place in Rwanda while powerful and distrubing really bothered me, but it was Paul Rusesabagina's determination and the courage he had to do what he did. He saved lives during the bloodshed of the Rwandans in 1994. Truly, I am in shock over this story that I am ashamed to say, didn't know even happened! Maybe I heard vaguely about it (I was in high school) but it really isn't anything that I paid attention to.

I got to thinking about how many times things like this have gone on...with the Jews, the Japanese Americans...and it got me thinking about the emotional and psychological part of the story and that of course got me thinking about my family...and what they went through.

There are a ton of stories we each have in our own family histories...stories about courage and loss, strength and determination -- all need to be recounted for future generations. When my grandmother passed away, I questioned who would care that she was gone...and questioned the importance of her life, my life, everyone's life after they are gone. Do they matter? Who cared that they lived at all? I think it is important for everyone to tell their story. I believe that our lives matter, they touch someone at some point everyday. While you may not make a difference like Paul Rusesabagina did, you still affect others...and make a difference.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails