Recent Posts

Thursday, February 07, 2002

Tuesday was an awful day. Well, it started off horribly and ended on an up note.

When I woke up, everything was normal...except I had to spend the next 30 minutes on the phone (which is too much phone time for me 1st thing in the morning). People called, I called people, things were said, things weren't said (don't you love how I'm being so vague?) etc., etc. By 10:30 AM (an hour after I got up) I was already exhausted and I hadn't even been out of bed yet. Since I hadn't been able to work out the previous week, I forced myself to get on the treadmill and jog...but I couldn't, I was only able to do half my normal workout routine.

I was meeting Jody & Jamie for lunch that afternoon and on my way there, I got cut off by 3 idiot drivers who decided to make abrupt illegal u-turns in the middle of the street. Lovely, no? No. Luckily, the restaurant we went to had my kind of iced tea (HUGE glasses, like 32 oz) which of course made me feel much better.

After lunch, I had errands to run, but decided to go home first since the one and a half glasses of iced tea I had were finally catching up with me. I wasn't able to run my errands cos of a string of frustrating phone calls...which gave me just enough time to drive back to Jody's (we were going to see In the Bedroom). Please keep in mind that it normally takes me 10-15 minutes (at most) to drive from my place to his...but this time, it took me 25 minutes because some idiot decided to make an illegal left turn at the corner of Laurel Cyn and Moorpark and crashed into on-coming traffic. So with lookiloos and all, it took forever to cross the intersection.

I warn you all, if you want to keep your sanity while watching a movie, do not go to Burbank to see a movie during the matinee's SO awful. I have nothing against the elderly, I love the elderly, I think they are wonderful people...I have a special place in my heart for them...just not the ones in Burbank. You know, if you're going to see a movie (in a public place) generally, you just don't talk (unless of course, you are the only one in the theater). I'd say a good 85% of the In the Bedroom going crowd that afternoon in theater #4, wanted nothing more than to TALK throughout the entire movie. Actually, these people were polite and didn't say a word during the previews, but as soon as the movie started, all one could hear were people front of us, to the left of us, behind us. Then, the sound of candy being unwrapped...people blowing their noses...LOUDLY, FREQUENTLY...then more talking (as it got louder, and louder). Other people shushed the annoying whisperers, but apparently they didn't hear the shushing because they were so loud. Both Jody and I were about to loose our minds, it was awful. He shushed, I shushed, others shushed, other people left...but nothing. I finally got so frustrated, I left the theater and asked for a manager (waiting for her took a good 10 minutes). When she finally arrived, she apologized and said an usher would be sent in to monitor the situation. What a joke.

I got back in the theater to more talking, then it stopped as soon as the usher walked through the theater doors. It's not like these people could see the usher, but for some strange reason, the noise stopped when the usher appeared. Then, the usher began jingling his keys/coins (we were sitting in the back, so we could see and hear this going on) and left after "monitoring" for no more than 3 minutes. As soon as he left, the chit-chatting began again. By this time, the movie was more than half over and I was annoyed and couldn't even enjoy or get into the story. The usher checked back a few more times, and each time, the chatter stopped just before he came in and started up as soon as he left. Both Jody and I were ready to hurl mini Mrs. Fields cookies at these people who were not only talking but making vile noises with their noses and throats. At a pivotal point in the movie (when there should have been total silence, I hear more whispering and more talking), I was serioiusly ready to just leave and demand my money back. But instead, we stayed. When the movie finally ended, one of the annoying women said, "oh, the movie's over." NO DUH SHERLOCK! Ugh. Ok, it was beyond awful.

On the way home, every slow, bad driver was on either Hollywood Way or Magnolia in Burbank...and I thought I was going to have a breakdown, I was still reeling from the idiots in the theater.

Luckily, I was meeting another friend for dinner and drinks at my favorite place, Lola's. I was too wound up I think in the beginning to have an intelligent conversation or think for that matter, but as the evening progressed, all was good again. I tried a new martini, the pear, but it wasn't so good (even though I really wanted my favorite, the Key Lime martini). It didn't taste like pear, it didn't taste like much of anything, but for the first time in a long time, I didn't feel good after drinking the martini. I felt like my breathing was slightly labored...but after a few hours, it went away.

When I got home, I began to think about life...and I wonder what I'm doing. I think I'm too happy not working, feeling like I finally have a life again. Of course it can't stay that way forever, and I know at some point I'll want to get up and do something productive...but right now, I'm happy just being. Actually, I don't know what I want to do, and I'm not really in any rush to figure it out (although I figure I should be). Ugh...I don't know. "Get a job," says one friend, and I know I should (if I could) but I don't want to. When I quit my last job, I WANTED a new job, I wanted to do something productive almost immediately...I felt it & I needed it. But now, I just don't...I know there's something out there for me, once I finally get it together and figure out exactly what I want to do. **sigh** Here's my current fantasy:

I just want a house. Anyone donating?


Related Posts with Thumbnails